“Friends” the previous Post provided our scorecard for the Non-Financial Goals. This week, we are reporting on the 2016 Financial Goals listed below. We successfully achieved each one. Beyond these goals, additional funds were donated which allowed us to assist with some miscellaneous teaching material and supply expenses. Then recently, we successfully raised funds to support the travel expenses for Lorena, Mariana’s mother, to attend the National Spelling Bee Contest.
FINANCIAL GOALS- Overall Performance Rated an A+
Goal was to provide financial support for a minimum of 15 students under the Anne G. Broady Scholarship Fund. Estimated $1,500 Goal
Achieved by devoted donors providing funds to support over 15 students in 2016.
Goal was to provide financial support to the Learning Center’s funding commitment to continue the Executive Director’s position. $2,000 Goal
Achieved by devoted donors providing 60% of the funds and local “Friends” conducting a very successful “yard sale” to raise the remaining 40%.
Goal was to cover airline expenses to and from Emory & Henry College, Virginia for two Copey students and the Learning Center’s Executive Director. Estimated $3,600 Goal
Achieved by “special friends” solely affiliated with Emory & Henry College. Only E&H Alumni or E&H affiliated donors were requested to support this project and their generosity was huge. We requested $3,600 and received $5,600 in donations. Our actual expenses totaled $3,600 leaving a balance of $2,000. This surplus of $2,000 remains in an E&H College account. These funds will be used to help with the travel costs for two more Copey students traveling to our campus in June 2017. Outstanding Results!!!
Our successful track record for meeting “financial” goals is wholly attributed to each of you. “Friends of Copey” is very successful in both the non-financial and financial areas of our partnership.
I can only repeat myself each week as I try to convince all “Friends” of the importance of our partnership and success we are having being “Friends” with the Learning Center. I wish everyone who reads these Posts will accept credit for being a part of this success. All of our goals (non financial or financial) can only be achieved by devoted “Friends”. We “pray”, we expect “positive results”, and we provide “financial support” when necessary. Simple formula for success!
We are completing our third full year as “Friends of Copey” and I have much to share. In a few days I will issue my open letter to the Board of Directors, wish you a Merry Christmas, and share some very important news about 2017.
Recently, I spoke with Seidy, Lorena, and a couple other members of the Board of Directors via Skype and I am 100% convinced the community is very grateful for our devotion to their mission.
Below is a recent letter I received from Ana Yancy earlier in the month.
December 2nd, 2016
I’m very grateful for the Board and Friends of Copey for supporting all my ideas and opportunities of improving the Center. Also I really appreciate all your recommendations during this time.
I finished this year knowing that Copey Learning Center is growing and the next year is going to be full of success. The goals I accomplished during the last six months were possible thanks to your support and help:
- In September, we had 22 new enrollments. We are expecting all students to return and enroll more students next year.
- With the goal of establishing relationships with different organizations, a relationship with CoopeDota, an organization that produce/sell coffee in our region, was formed. They provided us with paint for the center, and free coffee tours for our students.
- I was able to get help from students, parents, and others from Copey to fix the Center and make it look better.
We finished this year with updated files for all the students regarding their level of English; including final proficiency test and their final report.
We had a meeting with the parents of our students to update them with our new norms and procedures.
Later this week, we are going to have a meeting with local teachers to improve our curriculum for next year.
For 2017, we are hiring 3 volunteers to better the quality of our classes. We are selecting our two students for the US trip.
During our 2016 graduation, we had a 100% participation of all students and their parents.
We also had our obstacles since I have started. However, we were able to work through our challenges. Since my time in Copey Learning Center, it has been a great experience for me; both personally and professionally.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be the director of Copey Learning Center. I look forward to working with you in 2017
Ana Yancy Chinchilla Valver, de Executive Director